Four months into the power outage in Borno state, Governor Babagana Zulum says unless measures are put in place to protect infrastructure from vandals, repairs will be an effort in futility.
Citing the incidence in late March when power was again vandalized barely 72 hours after its was restored, Zulum says the government developed cold feet since then.
“You are aware that power supply was restored about 40 days ago but unfortunately the insurgents have again destroyed the networks it’s very pathetic but insha Allah we are on course, we are doing everything possible to restore electricity back within the shortest possible time.” Zulum stated.
The governor who spoke to journalists in Maiduguri upon return from a 21 day leave said he was not unaware of the untold hardship the power outage had visited upon residents, while explaining government’s effort so far.
“What matters is not only the restoration of the electricity, I am looking into the possibility of sustaining the supply of electricity. We have to put in some necessary measures that will safe guard the electricity infrastructure otherwise we can restore the electricity today and then tomorrow it will be vandalized that is why we are developing cold feet in restoring the energy but we are making effort to ensure restoration as well as safeguarding infrastructure.” He said.
The NNPC GMD Mele Kyari was in Maiduguri a little over a month ago where he made a proposition to the state government on harnessing the potential of the state to generate power through gas.
Nothing has been heard about the gas plant project since then, which the NNPC claims would be ready in a maximum of four months period.
Zulum is hopeful that in the next six months an alternative energy source will be established in a safer location in the state to bring a permanent solution to the power problems.
Maiduguri and environs have suffered power outage since January 26th when insurgents vandalized two power transmission towers located on the outskirts of the city.
Another sabotage attack on electrical infrastructures occurred again on March 27 barely 72 hours after the power was restored and knocked out power again.
“This time, the insurgents chain bombed two other towers; T152 and T153 on the same line route of the other incident.” TCN’s General Manager, Public Affairs, Ndidi Mbah had said in a statement.