The Adamawa state government has Monday said it will renovate the psychiatric section of the special hospital to be used as isolation center for the treatment of suspected COVID-19 patients.

The state commissioner for health, professor Abdullahi Isa, who addressed journalists at the state ministry of health Yola, said the decision is in compliance with the federal government’s directive that each state must have at least a 300-bed facility for the treatment of COVID-19.

“Following the directive by the federal government, we have been working all through the weekend to see how we can adequately comply. The German hospital we earlier resorted to cannot contain the number of beds required, that is why we have to decide to use the psychiatric hospital. Luckily for us, there is no single patient there now,” Prof. Isa said.

He said renovation will commence immediately to meet up with WHO standard and recommendation.

He further stressed that so far there is no single confirmed case in the state.


The commissioner also took time to debunk rumors making the rounds of possible suspected cases in the state. He said the ministry received a call from Shelleng local government of a woman who had running nose and fever. ” Our surveillance team visited the community and found out that it was just common cold and not COVID-19,” he said.

He also used the opportunity to call on citizens to stop the stigmatization of those with common cold and pneumonia as it was with the woman in Shelleng. “We were surprised to noticed that people in her community ran away as far as 500 meters from the woman, this is not what we are advising people to do”,
he said.

“What we are advocating is for people to maintain social distancing and report any suspected case, not runaway from patients pls, ” he further stressed.

He added that some members of the community reported that the suspected woman returned from Lagos few weeks ago, that was what prompted their actions.

A similar case was recorded at a private hospital at the state capital, Yola, where nurses of the hospital reportedly ran away after hearing that the patient just returned from Malasia. ” We received a call from a doctor at a private hospital that a patient came with fever, cough and running nose. The doctor told us that all the nurses on duty and other patients ran away because they suspected that patient had coronavirus. We transfered the patient to the specialist hospital for further examination which shows no sign and he was released Monday morning. We, however, took his sample and send it to Abuja for further examination, ” he said.

Meanwhile, the commissioner for information, Umar Garba, who is a member of the task force urged residents to be patient and respect the lockdown order which is enforced for the good of the state.